View Single Post
Old 2011-12-25, 15:06   Link #26
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
What's the other show?
Probably referring to F/Z.

Random comments + observations for episode 13:
  • Sunrise you asshole, that cliffhanger is too mean.
  • Any anime that ends with a baseball episode is guarantee God-tiered.
  • I should learn not to be surprised by any sort of attacks in this anime.
  • Nice ass (Horizon and Masazumi)
  • Extremely good flashback special effects (along with godly BGM)
  • HORIZON IS MOEEEE
  • Must've burnt a ton of money on the special effects (Kawakami himself thanked 川原さん for the DSA's soul over drive effects, basically he drew 5 seconds of the "loop" frame and then have to replicate that)
  • Kawakami designed the ship's gallery, then 沙倉さん turned it into the animated design
  • Kawakami said probably nobody anticipated the last episode will go "that far" into volume 2 (this is up to the first 3 chapters of vol 2 I believe)
  • Sunrise is an ass for not letting us know who Mary's VA is (we already have Tanaka Rie joining us, muahahhaha).
  • Toori and Horizon's perfect match (looking at the breakfast frame)
  • The ship's "transformation" scene is very, very amazing. Along with the flashback, Sunrise probably burnt a ton of money on this episode (which makes sense considering the previous episode has like almost 0 animation).
  • The chibi design is a very nice touch for the novel readers; it felt like these DSAs are "toys" from Motonobu for his daughter as his parting gift.
  • TOORI FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE GET INNOCENTIUS'S DSA BACK // Is it possible to just remove Munehige's DSA and just have Horizon get the ero-feelings back
  • Minorin's perfect match for Horizon's character.
  • Sunrise won. The episode even has a godly built in MAD, what an amazing way to end this season.
  • Even the "enemies" got me all hyped up (referring to the "death charge" by the "senpais").
  • PA Oda's entrance is totally badass.
  • Musashi is mai waifu.

My thoughts
  • The animation for this episode is gorgeous, the flashback honestly was my favorite. I felt it was very difficult to animate Horizon's thoughts and emotion (her first time feeling anything is sadness ), but the BGM and special effects did that beautifully. Minorin's just so good for this kinda of role. The details and the animation are wonderful (especially with the fuel charging up from the deck).
  • The activation frames are important, please don't miss them.
  • Tenzou and Ulq are full of spoilers.
  • Whoever's in charge of music did a wonderful job with the different rendition of Tooshidouka; it helps that the song's lyrics fit very well cinematically too.
  • Kawakami must be a wonderful author to work with. Despite the massive info setting/restriction, I'm glad the staff still be able to come up with very nice presentations for the scenes, so the novel readers still feel pretty fresh watching this.
  • Horizon is never the top series (taking into account of budget, hype from source material and staff involved, and broadcast timeslot/translation availability). While it's not as under-appreciated as UN-GO, I felt like this is the dark horse of the season. I definitely had the most fun following this on a weekly basis.
  • A point worth noting: VA's commentary is amazing. This is basically the 2ch livebroadcast thread with them talking about the scenes. Their conversations make up for all the characterizations that were lost due to the lines being axed from the anime. (lol vol1's out of stock on Amazon, freaking understock ftl)

Trivia question based on this episode (for season 2): What is "La Armada Invencible"?

Happy Tsirhcmas everyone =), even though the other hemisphere had it already.