View Single Post
Old 2012-01-20, 08:13   Link #214
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Perhaps we should just eliminate the genre categories altogether. Letting any show be nominated in any category suggests to me that genre isn't really a very meaningful way to categorize anime. This extended argument over whether Steins;Gate is, or is not, a romance just makes the point.

I've argued repeatedly on the forums that genre is an over-emphasized and often uninformative characteristic of anime. Excellence is excellence regardless. I'd rather we focus more on scripts, performances, music, artwork, etc., and spend less time worrying about how to draw little boxes around groups of shows.
The problem is that the genre usually determines the script, writing, music, type of art etc. Romance and Slice of life series tend to use more soothing BGM's and usually have slower pacing than for example an action serie.
Also with your your reasoning some types of anime won't make it in the list at all, like for example comedy animes.
Some examples of why comedy won't make it in the list without using genres.
-The story is most of the time nonexistant in a comedy
-The music scores are usually not that great because overall comedy series don't have a high enough budget for it.
- A comedy won't be able to outperform a decent drama, no matter how good the performance is in a comedy
-The characters are most of the time just caricatures in a comedy, so you won't find deep or big developments most of the time.
-While there are some comedy anime with nice art, the art in a comedy is usually not good enough to win in the best visuals department.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-01-20 at 08:34. Reason: darn typos
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote