View Single Post
Old 2004-12-22, 13:07   Link #42
7thMethuselah

Well spoken Mr.Paper (+rep),

Indeed the original episode 25/26 show us what EVA is all about : Shinji and his struggle with himself. Shinji doubts himself all the time. In essence he's afraid of what others think of him, how they view, what they feel towards him. He tries to run away from these by hiding (he hides in several ways in the anime, by physically running away, by mindlessly following orders, etc...). EVA is more or less trying to show the consequences of individuality, and this confronted with one common 'Self'

I always understood AT Fields in EVA to be the boundaries of the 'self'. In that way the battles between EVA and the angels are actually battles of Shinji (and others) against his own 'Self' and others' 'Self'.

The choice which Shinji faces at the end is actually if he wants to keep individuality or wants to submerge in one common 'individuality' (in essence the whole humanity having but a single individuality.
Shinji has to choose if the good sides of individuality are worth the bad sides. By becoming an induvidual you gain something but you lose the other's thoughts. It's not always an easy path. Basically in many episodes of the anime, Shinji is following the easier path of conformity, in essence fitting in, being what everyone wants him to, avoiding confrontation.

I think I didn't make alot of sense in this post, I more or less get the point on EVA but is is rather hard to explain.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote