View Single Post
Old 2012-02-08, 10:52   Link #77
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
All ranged weapons suffer accuracy decline at range. The bow is a dangerous weapon of its (very, very long) age not because each arrow would snipe someone's head, but because barrages of arrows have a great chance of hitting those inside tightly-packed formations. The Gatling is no different, only with better maximum range, faster rate-of-fire and the ability to better penetrate lamellar armors.
Funny that, I always considered the Samurai armour as being barely more than symbolic. Culturally Japan never liked using shields, and their focus on offence means most direct hits by either arrows or swords would be One Hit KOs. In some ways the Japanese didn't have to change much to adapt to firearms; they haven't got the full body platemail that we already know are useless against bullets.

I would be interested to see how they could balance with the Gatlings. I envision having gatling guns defending artillery units. One takes care of extreme long range, the other prevents anyone from getting close.