View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 22:05   Link #19
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Yeah, my views have changed of the characters since I last posted. Here's what they are currently:

I think it's safe to conclude that I hate this cast of characters and have not seen a group this unlikeable since The Social Network, mostly for the reason that I find them either boring, half-assed, or downright miscast. Mostly though, it's because the characters are just slaves to the writers. And I mean they're REALLY tools of the writers. The concept behind them is fine, but the execution is just plain horrible.

Spoiler for Shu:

Spoiler for Inori and Gai:

Spoiler for Other characters:

In the end, I'm kind of amazed I hate this cast so much. I will say though that if the show had been a little better, I would have said that the tolerable characters could have saved the anime for me. But unfortunately, the writers won't give them their independence.

Edit: And yes, I agree with Triple_R that the characters have their roles to fill and half of them do fill them fine (That serial killer kid who barely does anything is NOT one of them. And don't get me started on that Daath kid). The problem is, there's not much to them besides those roles. I ask myself with characters, would I want to see stories about their daily lives. The answer is "no", of course. And while I do agree with Ledgem's analysis (although I didn't care about Hare's admittedly well-done scene because I hated her), it's one of those things that is good when written, but when watching it, I just go "eh". It wasn't bad, but it didn't leave much of an impact.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-03-17 at 22:18.