View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 08:14   Link #42
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Wow did you miss the TWO times I had to bold something in my previous reply?
Are you saying you never reconsider an opinion even if new facts are presented?
Quote:
Also there's a difference between fanservice layered upon character progression and 'LETS PUT THE CAMERA'S POINT OF VIEW ON THE PAVEMENT AND HAVE HIS MIDDLE SCHOOL GRADE SISTER SQUAT DOWN TWICE IN FRONT OF IT'. The latter happened far, far more often.
These are two unrelated things. Character progression is not a graphical process in the first place, and also it happens at its own rhythm. Character progression does happen in Nise, as happens the development of themes. The rest is just stuff that fills the gaps anyway.
Quote:
I'm hardpressed to find the actual 'hidden meaning' behind that.
If you talk about Karen squatting, then there was no meaning behind it. The gag was in the characters realizing riding someone on your shoulders works only if it's the boy carrying the girl and not vice versa. The related gags were Karen cutting her own ponytail and asking Araragi to do the same to his willy. Well, for a while that also made Araragi think that was the reason why Kagenui and Ononoki called him a demon; later he concluded they called him a demon just because he is partly vampire, so that meant what he did to his sister and Hachikuji was acceptable. Oh, and there was also Hanekawa discovering he was riding his sister while going to his junior and having fantasies on her.

Karen squatting in itself was nothing special. Well, I would say it's a bit like the dirt on Star War's spaceships, it makes things look more realistic. For example, if there are highschoolers with miniskirts floating in a zero-g enviroment, I have to accept I am suspending my disbelief if there is no panty flashing. Some convenient shot once in a while is fine. And it certainly fits with the rest.
Quote:
The little girl pandering is still creepy shit regardless of what it was meant to add to the story.
It's because otaku culture is a creepy culture Nise is just making fun of it. There is just too much meta content to take it all seriously.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote