View Single Post
Old 2012-03-28, 16:10   Link #11
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Another started great, usually had an exquisitely executed engrossing atmosphere to it, was consistently good throughout, had a very solid pair of leads (especially the nicely mysterious and sympathetic Mei), and typically did a good job of building up intrigue and suspense. But ultimately, I think Another is a case where the whole was a little bit less than the sum of its parts.

I think the reason is that it didn't always do a good job in balancing Mystery with Horror, and in the last couple of episodes in particular, it felt like the Mystery had been short-changed a bit while gorn predominated.

The gorn and the odd reveal on who "the Dead" was did clash somewhat, perhaps lowering the effectiveness of both. The identity of "the Dead" struck me as pretty clever on the writer's part, but the way it was presented (in the anime at least) also caused that identity to come off to me as cheap and eyebrow-raising (in a bad way, lol).

The ending also lacked a certain emotional satisfaction to it for me. But then, perhaps it's silly to expect that from a Mystery/Horror show pretty much guaranteed to have a "Bad End" (in the sense of Sad/Tragic, rather than a more basic quality sense).

8/10 overall for Another.