View Single Post
Old 2012-06-11, 09:19   Link #134
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Am I the only one here who even cares about the tiny little and surely completely unimportant fact that Alisia went to Altair to save the damn planet? Just wondering. I mean she even said "I wanted to save my love's home" or something along those lines. She didn't go there to "visit" Izumo, she didn't go there to "be with him" she went to help save a planet that was his home world. So selfish of her.
Well, look at what she said.

"If it'll help you, I'm sure." (to Izumo)
"It was hard to decide whether I should take you. In the end, I was more worried that you would be in danger on a strange, unknown world. I never thought we would be apart for so long. No, that's just an excuse. I abandoned you. I wanted to help save my love's world. It was all for the man I loved, the things I loved."

So essentially she did it for Izumo. We don't know if she would have done it just because the other world needed her. According to her, her motivation was to help out Izumo.

The main problem is the way she left Amata. It was traumatic. Disappearing from before his eyes, in a graveyard, apparently without a single word about what was going on. And she had been warned about the dangers: she would probably know there was a risk of death or illness for her there.

The criticism here could be aimed at the writers; it would have been easy for them to have Alicia leave Amata in a way which wouldn't have left him in the dark about what happened. "Amata, I'm leaving on a mission to save another world. I hope to be back soon, but it's going to be dangerous, so it's possible I won't return. Remember that your mother still loves you and is thinking of you." Easy. Of course, the writers couldn't do that without harming the plot.

Abandoning your young child without a word to them about why, where you're going, or whether you'll return, simply because the person you love needs your help and you would do anything for them...that's pretty selfish. Parents have responsibilities.