View Single Post
Old 2012-06-15, 09:14   Link #21978
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is self-evidently Sharia-inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
... but I'm willing to turn a blind eye to some barbaric sharia "eye for an eye" punishment in their case.
Usually I would immediately stomp this kind of remarks with ironic snarks, but ignorance can certainly be innocent.

People often confuse the entire concept with sharia with "hudduud" a part of it that has been quite frequently ignored by muslims. "Hudduud" is what people typically thinks of Sharia. That is, hand amputation for stealing, killing a murderer, that kind of stuff, since the proponents of it has been the loudest among muslims for the last 100 years. In reality, as I said this part has been often ignored, or at least re-interpreted, to suit the needs and interests in times and places. Islam wouldn't have spread far and wide otherwise.

Sharia actually means "guide to live", including in judicial matters, and it operates on the same basis of `precedent` that Common Law does. Well it is pretty much common law, and the western common law owes a bit from its influence. Therefore, it's actually not at all impossible to reconcile it with civil secularism, which was what the Ottomans, the last Caliphate, attempted, and succeeded at. If not for the empire's violent and tragic demise, it would've sticked and emulated by the rest of muslim world.

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-06-15 at 09:27.