View Single Post
Old 2012-06-23, 05:11   Link #134
Sol Falling

Haha. Man, I just randomly stumbled across this series a little while ago. Don't really plan to pick up the anime. I'm making my way through the manga right now on account of the mangaka, Kazuto Izumi.

I guess that second season of the anime never panned out, huh? That's a bit of a shame. Anyway, I sure was surprised at all the conflict which emerged in the thread for this anime, it was pretty interesting to read through it.

Throwing my own perspective into the mix (I wonder if anyone will read it, lol), I think the first thing to make clear is that this series definitely carries yuri undertones. As I mentioned, I'm reading this series' manga due to Kazuto Izumi right now whom I recognized due to her recent series for Yuri Hime. The purpose/intention of this series, as it appears to me, is not to "idealize poverty" or preach completely pure/self-sacrificing morals or any such thing but to portray the pure and touching relationship between two sisters. Fundamentally the ability to appreciate this particular form of a pure and idealized construct will be related to one's susceptibility to the genre where such relationships emerge most prolifically, namely yuri.

Now, of course there is some degree of criticism which is justified for throwing at any pure and idealized artificial construct. Certainly, part of the appeal and function of yuri itself is in being an idealized escape from certain overwhelming aspects of both reality and other media. If one does not have a taste for the idealism Binbou Shimai Monogatari offers, certainly they might write off the whole thing as a sappy, ingenuine portrayal of reality which is completely nonsensical. However, insofar as a person is attuned to the emotional functions BSMG actually means to fulfil for the viewer, the act of enjoying it is completely natural.

Speaking in terms of the relational development which was explicitly revealed in the latest chapter I've read (ch. 20), here let me outline a simple relationship between the series' theme and its premise. Chapter 20 is about little sisters: Asu and Ginko. Over the course of the chapter Ginko observes and subsequently questions the sincerity of Asu's giving/generous (i.e. "good girl") nature; noting in particular Kyou's lax and undependable attitude around her (i.e. at home, etc.). The way that Asu responds is that no, Kyou is actually extremely dependable--working hard every morning (of course, on account of their poverty), trying to support them. That is why, what above all Asu wishes to do for Kyou is to become the one place/environment when Kyou does not have to work hard; i.e. to become the one setting around whom Kyou can relax. Thus you can see, how poverty acts as the driver specifically strengthening and informing Kyou and Asu's relationship. The purpose is not to portray a "realistic" story of poverty which is somehow conveniently overcome by two sister's love for each other. Rather, as is a fairly common premise within yuri, the story fundamentally begins with the premise that love (between two girls) can conquer anything; and then it introduces poverty as the source of strife/conflict in order to play out this iteration of the story, in that setting.

This has been a post hopefully communicating how, even if that value did not specifically appeal to you (or, indeed, any great portion of the anime industry/fan community as a matter of history)--this anime certainly managed to create and convey some value to a specific portion of the anime-watching audience.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote