View Single Post
Old 2012-07-01, 20:22   Link #29
Who

What's your Profession/your planned course to take up in college?

Right now I work as a receptionist/waiter. I study Asian Studies (International Studies/Relations) and Business.

Your Current Status.

Dying in this heat? Otherwise, student

What made you choose it?

It just seemed cool to me at the time; Asian history/politics/intellectual trends interested me more than other things.

Are you happy with it?

Yes and no. I love learning everything there is about it, from contemporary Hallyu culture to the formation of ancient dialects in South Asia to stratagems behind the Mongol conquests; etc, but it's really not practical in comparison to my intended major heading into college, which was biology. On top of that, because business was a last minute addition, finding a job has been extremely hard on me. Employers look at my resume and go, "pfffffttttt, Asian Studies? Another liberal arts hippie bullshit major? Yeah right. Don't waste my time." I've actually had a potential employer tell me that Asian Studies is not a practical major in comparison to what other applicants brought in. On top of that, I've had personal problems my first two years of college, so that deeply impacted my GPA and any potential volunteer work/internships and community service that I could've done to add depth to my experience.

How do you see yourself in the future?

I really don't know. First and foremost, I intend on graduating, but because cash isn't easy to come by, I'm not sure if I can afford grad school in the immediate future. I'm going to try and see if I can get research internships with some of the professors in my department and networking a lot with the career center.
I've also toyed with the idea of earning enough money and going back to complete biology and working in a lab, but that's a longshot.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote