View Single Post
Old 2012-07-03, 12:38   Link #67
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post

And in Irisu's defense, I somewhat agree with her. Leaving Kaito alive and finding out he's perfectly fine later is a bit too anticlimatic for a mystery.
Agreed. The one thing I didn't like about this episode is how it cast Irisu in a totally negative and unsympathetic light.

Irisu's motivations were perfectly sound. So was her desire to not needlessly piss people off or hurt their feelings. I don't think she was entirely in the right, of course, but I would have preferred a less
black-and-white portrayal of her than what was given. It lacked fairness and nuance, imo.

That being said, I could also get where Oreki was coming from on this. You feel good about yourself over successfully completing a project, as lots of people compliment you on it. Then your three best friends, one after another, all pick it apart and really critique it. That has to sting, and really crush one's self-esteem, at least for a short while. Keep in mind that what they're critiquing is central to Oreki's key talent - playing Detective. It would be comparable to a young protege pianist being told "It sounded nice, but it was not a good recital as you were way off on a few notes" by his three best friends.

Oreki feeling depressed, frustrated, and angry/irritable over it, makes sense to me. The good news is that it shows how much his character has developed. It shows how, deep down inside, he wants to be a guy that can feel proud of himself, and help other people. He doesn't really want to be an energy conserving loner ay more.

Well, after this incident, he may lapse a bit back into that energy conserving loner stage again, but I doubt he'll stay there.