View Single Post
Old 2012-07-04, 11:26   Link #80
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, after watching ep 11 all I have to say regarding Irisu is "I told you so." But in the same light I think Oreki's older sister is equally manipulative, though in a different way and degree tempered by knowing what things are more important because she has kept her eyes open as the years have rolled by.

It is one thing to be "heartless" and put achieving goals and fulfilling responsibilities above all else - truly an "ends justify the means" p.o.v.; it is another thing to be inspired to do this because one feels moved to help someone in trouble (as Irisu did) and then manipulate and wound others. That is - if you are close to her she will do you a favor and hurt others around her to do you the favor. I could almost audibly hear say "It's just business." like the mafiosos portrayed in the Godfather movies.

In other words, ruthlessness by itself is one thing. Ruthlessness when mixed with good intentions is much more dangerous. And Irisu is the latter in my opinion. I can't tell you how much I wanted Oreki to slap her when he found out what she had done, or at least for Chitanda to confront her morally and call her on her actions.

All that being said, I have to give the show yet another plume in it's crown. The portrayal of the interaction between Oreki and Irisu was extremely real and convincing, and it really got me (and others, it seems) involved and riled up - moreso than many a series in a very long time. That's a mark of a well done piece of work.