View Single Post
Old 2012-08-15, 09:37   Link #233
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Sadly, I do not jest. Show me the episode with Kirito as the exiled loner (hint, it isn't shown). We get a couple of lines of "he's a beater", then the next episode he's in a guild.
Trials? Struggle against the boss monster who holds an item that potentially ressurects people? Zero trouble against a bunch of PKers?

We didn't see Asuna work her way up. 1 ep she's a noob, next she's a leader. Great development.

The biggest issue this show has, is that it tells rather than shows.
I don't think it's all meaningless, but where's the journey (ie. the development)?
I'm all for world building (ie. learning how the world works, side stories etc), but good stories flesh out the main plot before putting in "filler".

Edit:

Well, the start of each episode shows the date, so we do know time has progress, but it's all just timeskip-timeskip-timeskip. Unless this show starts doing flashbacks, this show has missed out on a lot of proper development.

I was hoping the main story would follow the plot premise (and here's hoping at some point it will), and not be pointless like
Spoiler for Title of another show:

Also, this wait and see approach isn't really working for me at the moment. Most shows that try this approach tend to end up making absurd/convoluted ways to connect everything making you realise the author had obviously not thought things out.
The main thing you are missing is that the main changes to the characters do happen during the episodes we are shown. Asune didn't change from a noob with a deathwish into a sub leader of a guild in between episodes. The key change happend in episode two where she was inspired by Kirito into trying to seriously clear the game. This is also true these two episodes where Asuna was once again tought a few life lessons about trying to enjoy life a bit and not only focus on the goal. If she seems different the next time we see her so is that because what happened this time, not because of some magic event in between.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote