View Single Post
Old 2012-08-17, 08:26   Link #298
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopo View Post
No offense, but you kinda are looking at the tidbits rather than the overall story. Sure you don't need the elements of episode 3 to watch episode 4, however they are all essential in developing Kirito into what he is in this recent murder arc.

His failure involving the Black Cats explains why he's never tried to join another guild, the guilt was undoubtedly eating away at him. Why does he hunt down that PK guild? Because it was a means to redeem himself for what happened earlier. Sure Kirito's a nice guy, but it's simplistic to believe that that was his only motive.
He's a beater. That alone should already establish why he's shouldn't be able join a guild.

Being nice may be a simplistic reason, but judging from his past action (and "future" if you count ep 5+6), he shows he is willing to help others (within reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopo View Post
The fact that he was successful in protecting someone this time around contributes to episode 4 being a redemption arc. His hesitation is shown through his extra preparations (no, I don't think giving virtual items to a look-alike is a means of repaying his sister).

These two episodes contribute to the Kirito we see in this recent mystery arc, someone who can find peace in his current situation and who's still a solo player despite all this time. If either episode were cut, we'd get an incomplete picture of Kirito as he is now.
Considering he tells Silica she's a substitute sister, explains the debt he owed, wanted to make her feel secure as a bait easily explains the actions he took with her. No need to try and add the bits from ep 3 to make it work at all.
I don't consider it a redemption story, it's about a good guy doing a good deed.
If he needs motive to do something, what's his reason for solving the mystery murder in this story? I'd say good guy doing good deed (well, he was also intrigued on how players were bypassing the PK prevention mechanics).

As for finding restful moments, considering the whole beater issue is effectively ignored, ignoring the whole Black Cats guilt isn't any different at all.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote