Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-22, 03:37   Link #1492
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
Even excessive altruism is infinitely better than excessive selfishness. I can understand that it can be annoying to insist on helping with things people don't need help with, but Taichi never did anything of the sort. If he's truly altruistic, he would put other people's feelings above his own need to help and so far he's doing a fine job at that. The only time he needed to do anything extreme, he gave up immediately when Iori said she didn't want that.
When you say "better", what particular reference point are you using exactly?

The problem with claiming one side to be better than the other is that anyone can only do so with a specific reference point in mind. Likewise, changing the reference point can come up with an entirely different perspective. In my case, disregarding the self is every bit as abhorrent as disregarding others.

The way I saw it, Taichi really crossed the line once he began imposing his own to beliefs onto to Himeko in that one scene. It's all well and good if he wants to kill himself for the sake of someone else, but if he expects others to make the same sacrifices he makes, then there is something seriously wrong with him.