View Single Post
Old 2012-09-25, 15:44   Link #91
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm not really sure I like Shaft....like at all, but the problems I have with them are easily fixable. One is to get at least one other director to use every now and then. I know people love Shinbo, but I find his style of direction to be way to busy and distracting bordering on annoying. I don't understand why he can't give a scene room to breath and has to be constantly breaking them up into really short and quick cuts to different angles and displays of text every few seconds. To me that's not being dynamic, that's just being as I said distracting and it makes it really hard for me to stay focused on the scenes and dialogues that are supposed to be the main pull of most of their shows. I even found this to be a problem with Madoka Magica at times which is probably the first thing by them I've found to be readily watchable in more than small doses at a time.

The other is more personal preference in source material. If I were going to watch more stuff by them I'd prefer it to be more like Madoka Magica and less like Monogatari and with less focus on overtly creepy imagery/themes in general. This means toning it down on the big focus set pieces (several minutes or more) that feature things like little girls bathing and the weird fetishistic stuff scene in the likes of Nisemonogatari in general. Just not at all my cup of tea and Madoka Magica shows that's it's possible to do those angles Shinbo loves and have a little light fanservice without having to absolutely drown an episode in it.

The way it looks though none of this is changing any time soon with the likes of Sasami-San@Ganbarai and it's apparent focus on a slavishly doting brother and his kawaii imouto, but maybe there's something in that Prism Nana one that I could find watchable.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote