View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 14:14   Link #10
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
And as Irenicus’s posts hints, the CPUs will have improved again by the time an X4 955 isn’t enough.
He said that they won't be making new LGA 1155 CPUs from now on. What about LGA 2011 and LGA 1366 processors, though? Will they still roll out new processors for one or both types of processors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you on a Phenom II X4 955/4GB RAM/1GB HD5750 box?

You should get a second opinion on this, but my guess is your CPU is still good for a while yet. You might benefit from another 4GB, a fast GPU(some of the Skyrim visual mods out there are designed with a fast 2GB GPU in mind) and an SSD for the OS, but that doesn’t necessitate the cost of a new build. And as Irenicus’s posts hints, the CPUs will have improved again by the time an X4 955 isn’t enough.

Potential caveats:
-The HD5750 doesn’t run as hot or burn as much power as high end GPUs. I can’t remember if your case and power supply were speced with a future “big GPU” in mind.
-Migrating an existing install to an SSD isn’t easy, and you might be better off just reinstalling Windows.

BTW, how much GPU you need is driven in part by your monitor resolution… I suspect inexpensive grey market Korean 2560X1440 monitor (most 2560X1440 displays sold in North American are pricy) have driven a few GPU upgrades in recent months.

I don't need an upgrade yet, but I acquired some money recently (enough to buy a computer), and I have a relative who could use a new computer (so maybe I could give them my current one), so I'm thinking maybe I should treat myself and buy a new computer. Usually I'm frugal with spending, and I thought maybe it is just fine to treat myself and to get a new computer that is close to top of the line.

This computer I'm thinking of buying would carry me into the next gen, and then sometime during the next gen, I could upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and GPU, but that wouldn't be for about 4 years or so from now.

I have an external HDD. I'm just gonna back up things and start with a fresh Windows 7 install on a new computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
The 660Ti is nV's equivalent. AMD drivers are about as good as nV drivers nowadays for most things. Performance wise, AnandTech has a decent list of benchmarks, pick and choose what games you want.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=647
The Radeon HD 7950 is better overall. Is that Radeon pretty loud? That is the only thing that makes me consider getting the Geforce over that Radeon. I notice when playing games, the Radeon is louder by about 4-7 dB.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-09-28 at 14:33.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote