View Single Post
Old 2012-09-30, 13:26   Link #178
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
7 minutes 26 seconds. The amount of time the show managed to last without any sort of sign of a school setting, and those were probably the most interesting moments of the show. The whole depiction of the fire ritual felt like something out of another show I'm watching right now called Gasaraki where a lot of time is spent on showcasing the very intricate Kabuki dance rituals and talk of conspiracy and releasing or sealing a great power. Also the chanting, visuals of masks and demons and just the general feeling of mass conspiracy moving along all events in the series over the course of what appears to be centuries also served to remind me a lot of that show.

As for the school setting, thankfully it doesn't fall into any of the usual trappings and comes off more as like the Xavier Mutant Academy with various personalities trying to learn to better control their powers. Though unlike in that academy apparently if you don't do well some evil cat thing comes and makes you disappear. Though is it really what it's perceived to be?

Anyway things move REALLY fast in this opening episode as the type of setting we are dealing with is unveiled, but a lot of the visual sequences show some real imagination, something it feels like TV anime is just starting to rediscover lately. This didn't used to be THAT uncommon such that only a handful of studios and directors would regularly be acknowledged for exhibiting it in the usual online circles, but if you'd come into anime in the last 5 or so years only I would say that the past year or so has been something of a treat in terms of visuals and direction. For me it's getting back to business as usual. Can't complain really.

So overall while a little muddled and fast on the opening exposition as I said I think that's to be expected since the show is atypical for TV anime in it's subject matter and thus doesn't need to nor really can rely on recognition or assumption of tropes to establish precisely what we're dealing with in the opening episode. This is good because it allows room for further exploration of the setting and characters and the chance to start peeling back the layers in the future, which is I assume what we're going to be getting. Lastly I think it bares mentioning that I really like the overall costume design for the series. Nothing like a little traditional Japanese clothing to spice things up. Even the school uniforms take on something of a traditional Japanese clothing aesthetic, looking a bit like a cross between the typical sailor outfit and a kimono. I assume we'll eventually discover why Japan seems to have partially regressed back to the living styles of feudal times over the course of the series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote