View Single Post
Old 2012-11-03, 23:07   Link #68
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
What's wrong with her being depowered in a new RPG, though? That's how the genre works; before becoming a demi-god badass, you've gotta do your time and kill some slimes. At level 1 you're pretty defenseless against all the world's creatures. Sugou could've easily done the same thing to her in Sword Art Online the November of 2022.
Depowerment has nothing to do with her level in the game -- it's her lack of agency in the current situation. If it's just how the genre works, why isn't Kirito the one in this predicament and Asuna the one who has to rescue him? There's really no reason other than it's the girl's job to be the damsel in distress and the boy's duty to be the white knight who rescues her.

Quote:
And I dunno, I don't think the molestation stuff is rubbing things in too thick. It's not altogether uncommon for terrible people in reality to relish in doing unnecessary terrible things. Just comes with the territory of being a sicko.
The problem is, it's only happening to prove that Sugou's a sicko -- which is plenty obvious anyway. Something absolutely horrible is happening to Asuna and will probably leave her emotionally scarred for life, but that doesn't get any attention from the story because it's not important -- the whole thing is nothing more than character building for someone who's as one dimensional as Snidely Whiplash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
The ironic part of all this is, if Kirito and Asuna swapped places, people like you probably would have zero problems with it.
That's like saying, "If that picture were of a white guy eating fried chicken and watermelon, you wouldn't be offended." What makes the situation with Asuna sexist isn't the situation, but the wider cultural context where things like this happen to female characters far, far more often than male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'll have to check this, but my impression from the scene was that he didn't actually touch her. He looked like he was going to (trying to get a reaction from her) but the camera panned back to show his hand away. Maybe I'm wrong - will check again when I get home.
The reaction shot of Asuna grimacing seems pretty clear that he touched her.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote