Thread: A Laugh A Day
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-17, 22:13   Link #22616
Ridwan

For a long time, I mean close to ten years, I thought I was dragonkin. There was a long period of not eve talking about my kin identity because it didn’t seem that important, but discovering the otherkin community on tumblr made me reconsider a lot of things concerning my identity. And the more I looked into it critically, the less I felt “right” with being dragon kin. But it was really hard to let go of that identity I’d held onto for so long… I was so convinced I was a dragon that it never occurred to me I might be wrong. it came down to the fact that I happened to really really like dragons at an impressionable time in my life… And then I pretended so vividly and for so long that I believed it.
Finally, I confronted that thought head-on and concluded that I probably wasn’t a dragon. But I still wasn’t human. So what am I?
A friend mentioned that I should maybe “try on” a few identities, see if anything settled into place, and to start with things that I’m drawn to. As I’m typing “well most of the things I’m drawn towards are mechanical,” she asks: “Have you ever considered that you might be machinekin?”
Oh. Well. Honestly I hadn’t really even known that was a thing until I read something on otherkinproblems… but when I did read about machinekin, it was like a brick to the face. So I started there, and have been figuring it out as I go ever since.