View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 11:03   Link #43
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm also unclear on how friendship is "immature" or "unrealistic" in adult settings. It can be more complicated but in no way is it either of those adjectives.
The difference is that for young teenagers friendship is the most important value. But when you find Love and when you make a family, while friendship remains an important value it comes to a second or third place.

The result is that while you might find positive portrayals of friendship in adult oriented media, it rarely is the main focus.
And on this note

Quote:
How Cowboy Bebop ends does not negate the fact that there are themes of friendship/companionship in the story. I never said it was only the aspect of the series it is there.

I also didn't say it was about the "power of friendship" but it is about how these 4 characters came to relate to one another & why
I guess we interpret "focused on" in a different way, because to me "focused on" means that the whole story revolves around that as its main theme.

About the notion of east = collectivist, west = individualist.
I think it should be noted that west only became individualist in recent years. Europe has always been pretty much collectivist especially in medieval times. In fact the word "individual" had originally a negative connotation.

Also did you know that the word of greek origin "idiot" originally referred to people who think about themselves rather than the good of the whole community? It was the worst offense back then.

Individualism isn't really a value that should be associated with the western culture, but with secularism. Asian countries simply were affected later by it, but they are slowly moving there.

Quote:
You cried at the cow boy bebop's end
Admit it
Of course I did, But that doesn't tell much... I can't even count the anime that made me cry.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote