View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 19:00   Link #57
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I wonder if the objections to the apparent prevalence of "friendship" in anime stem from its perceived cheesiness? I say this because I've observed how certain themes work in anime but flop in live action. I'm reminded, in particular, of Nodame Cantible and Moyashimon, both of which had J-drama adaptations that I simply couldn't stand. The humour was more or less the same, but the amount of over-acting in the drama productions greatly detracted from my enjoyment. It almost seemed as though the actors forgot how to act, and compensated with exaggeration that's more suited to animation.

(It's sometimes puzzling to me how voice actors can appear to be technically better actors than live actors. The subtleties that seiyuu can deliver through voice alone is something I don't often see from J-drama actors.)

By extension, if I were to imagine a number of anime series as live-action drama, I get the feeling I would be similarly turned off by the apparently cheesy emphasis on the "power of love and friendship" that will overcome all obstacles.

If it doesn't work for live-action drama (for me at least), why does it for anime?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote