View Single Post
Old 2012-12-03, 16:15   Link #126
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
So you argue it is better for a country (say, Canada) to have the Americans claim it by Invasion rather than have it brought out by the chinese fair and square?
I'd say an economic invasion is still an actual invasion. That said, I'm also NOT claiming China is economically invading anything. What I am saying is that economic actions by sovereign nations need to be evaluated strategically/politically vs. purely economically.

China offering to buy oil assets from Canada should also elicit a response that considers factors beyond economics. It should factor in strategic considerations. It's that simple.

In your crazy example: If the U.S. ever sent us a threatening letter saying they want our oilsands for nominal consideration, we'd have to figure out a response - petition NATO, find allies, determine cost of conflict, apply political pressure, negotiate in the best interests of the nation, etc etc. Strategic considerations.

Side Bar -- Your thinking still seems to be of an Imperialistic standpoint. Point is, the U.S. would actually never do it. In a modern world, conquering a place to secure assets isn't economically feasible -- what do you think happened to Spain's economy with the influx of South American gold?

Second Side Bar -- I don't want to get in to this on a thread like this, but what do you think Economics and Capitalism even is? They are respectively: 1) A study and discipline on the allocation of scarce resources and 2) It's fundamentally just a crowdsourcing mechanism to allocate the productive capacity of a society. It's efficient and inefficient in different ways and has certain flaws and weaknesses. Why do states tax companies in the first place? Heck, why do corporations have a mandate to earn profits? Think on this, do the research, we can continue these conversations in private if necessary.

Reply hazy, ask again later
willx is offline   Reply With Quote