View Single Post
Old 2012-12-27, 03:34   Link #11
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
@Demi - I agree with half of your post and disagree with the other half.
Emiya Kiritsugu as judas pointed out is a very well portrayed tragic character. Guts is as well, as is Tomoya.
Your assertion, which I agree with, would work if only males were watching anime. I imagine there's a sizable female fanbase of anime? If that's true then this could work for them as well, don't you think?

just assume I posted before Archon
Both Kuritsugu and Guts are tragic in their own way, but I'm not so sure if that's their selling point. In a way, Emiya brought about his own tragedies, he is always the one to pull the trigger. He was skewed with many shades of grey and I believe that's mostly what made him endearing. Guts on the other hand plays role of bad ass far more often than he uses the tragic card. Tomoya...I enjoyed his antics of the first season far more than what he regressed to in AS, but that's just me. In the end, I'm just basing everything on my own subjective opinion, but the most popular male characters rarely tend to be of the tragic variety. I guess directors are just playing their strongest cards.