View Single Post
Old 2013-01-13, 01:38   Link #243
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I take offense to that. I am a very civilized person and I had a co-worker (mind you, he was a teenaged boy) who announced that women were "worthless trash" and continued to bash women for several minutes until I couldn't take it anymore and slapped him right across the face.
I've actually met a girl who felt that she was very entitled to slap and hit boys. I remember slapping her hand away once pre-emptively when she tried it on me. It's always interesting to meet people who think that they're entitled. I know another such girl now who often jokes about being racially entitled (she's Chinese and Spanish) but it's very obvious that she thinks she is.

With that having been said, I suppose it's not really a cliche but entitlement is very annoying in characters. You see that a lot with characters that have a higher social status or are rich. Often they think they're better than everyone else, and while it does parallel real life I find it to be extremely distasteful. Fortunately you get the "rich farmer girl" who is very humble and sweet. Those almost make up for it.

For my own entry, I suppose you could consider characters who get overly embarrassed to be cliche. I've recently begun to watch a bit of anime again and I'm finding this to be an irritant currently. I can sympathize with getting embarrassed in situations where you've made a very obvious error in front of a group of people, but getting embarrassed all the time about little implications and imagery of "embarrassing" things isn't OK even as a teenager. Maybe a bit of this stems from how Japanese culture tends to take romance and other such feelings more seriously than we do in Western cultures, but it irks me. Imagery of nudity or romantic situations shouldn't cause boys to turn red and get embarrassed and stutter. Heck, even with females that annoys me. I've certainly never experienced it or met anyone else who did. I let that slide a bit when the situation is actually tense or romantic, but when both parties aren't on the same level it also annoys me. Especially since it's always the female portrayed as being confident and mature, while the male is portrayed as being timid and embarrassed.

Maybe I'm just a manly man though.

Edit: Actually, I have to address the samurai standoff. That's actually not limited to samurai. You see this a lot with Mexican standoffs where both gunmen fire, and then pause, and then one of them (or both) falls. Another example is when two characters punch each other at the same time, and then pause, and then one or both fall.