View Single Post
Old 2013-01-17, 00:46   Link #977
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
1. You own a gun, you have it stored in a safe at home. You decide to take a 2 week vacation to Japan with your wife, during which your house was broken into and your belongings stolen, including your gun, which was then used in a robbery-homicide(or insert your crime of choice here) a few days later. You come back from your vacation, BOOM, you get arrested at the airport and charged with murder/negligent homicide.

2. Bob loans a car to his buddy Fred for a week while Fred's car is in the shop for repairs. 3 days later Bob gets charged with vehicular homicide under the expanded definition of criminal negligence, after Fred got into a fatal accident after having a few too many drinks.
I think you are kind of obscuring the matter. There are already laws in place that prevent an owner from being charged for crimes committed on their property or with their property, and their are laws in place that hold you accountable for the actions performed with your property or on your property.

For example, if a drunk were to somehow steal your parked and locked car and get into an accident resulting in someones death, then you would not be held accountable (negligent) even if it was your property that killed someone. Alternately, if you parked your car outside a bar, left the keys in the ignition and the door open, and then walked away for hours, then I imagine you could be held as negligent under the law. As long as you show your due diligence in the prevention of possible injury, then you cannot be held accountable for what other people do.

The same is true with guns. If you leave a loaded gun lying around (outside a school playground or simply in your home) and someone is injured, then you can be held negligent.

So please, do not obscure the issue.

edit: I guess Don already raised this point. You're not always responsible, though .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote