Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 11:25   Link #219
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
I must be watching the wrong show, because Sumire's view on love and beauty is something deeply rooted in the 100 poems (note: I barely know anything about the poems, but vaguely know that's the probaly what the contents within the poems are about). The fact that Sumire immediately understood the contents of poem compared to every other member (excluding Kanade?) is proof of that. Competitive karuta (which they are playing) is a modern thing which is the contrast to the traditional value of beauty, grace and love that the poems expressed.
That's what I said:

Quote:
What's worthy of note here is that she was already sufficiently immersed in the mindset needed to appreciate karuta and the hundred poems right from the start.
She already has all the basics in mind. She understands the philosophy and subtlety that gives meaning to the verses. However, what I was pointing out rather was the fast-paced, modern culture that gave rise to her initial character archetype than Sumire herself. If you look at the way her peers were, you'd get a good idea of what I'm poking at. I'm talking about the sort of people that see love as a convenience. They expect cheap and easy gratification without putting in any effort, so they make a habit of giving up upon encountering any obstacle.

On the other hand, while she is living up to the meaning and intent of the hundred poems, there are still clear traces of the culture that brought her up that end up clashing with the new lifestyle she's trying to adopt.