Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-28, 02:43   Link #25988
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually ... no, they aren't all willing. Sometimes it is something as simple as they don't have procedures for it. In my case, there have been a few times I've offered myself as unpaid intern as a trial run and you can watch their brains lock up. It just "isn't done". Of course, I have a growing suspicion there's age discrimination and "overqualified" issues at work. Heck, I've been turned down because my prior salary was higher, because I've worked contract or consulted before (e.g not always been a corporate serf).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, yeah, but young graduates don't have that problem. What they do have is the problem of going from "underpaid intern" to "employee paid at least minimum wage" instead of being thrown away and replaced by another intern.
I agree with Vexx actually. Having been working contracts and freelance since I was 16, and I have to trim my resume to "officially start work part-time" at 18 in order to land a full-time job, even as an administrative clerk for the technicians.

When I am in there I ended up having to advise my manager on how to use refurbishing (running diagnostics then just replacing the spoiled part instead of throwing everything out) to save on corporate costs. I refuse to extend after my probation because the HR simply don't understand that the real cause of the low KPI is the excessive outsourcing of sales personnel, resulting in the call-in tech and engineers (who are also contract workers) to be completely clueless about the exact nature of the system resold to the client and having ridiculously high amount of OT claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
As much as I hate to say it, I am inclined to agree with you SaintessHeart.
The Obama administration's foreign policy is just a continuation of George Bush's, and that is infuriating to me.
It shows that--as you pointed out--a war with Iran is coming and I wish Americans would wake up and realize that it doesn't have to be this way.
However, if we get too entangled in that region, we will be in a world of hurt because I don't see other countries with interests in Syria and Iran just sitting by and letting the United States invade those two countries.
The business interests on both sides of this issue need to be denied their desire to attack Syria and Iran.
Don't ask me how, other than trying to get statesmen and women elected to the congress (doesn't matter which party) who will put a stop to this.
Failing that I fear we are looking at the potential for a major conflict: though I won't go so far as to call it a world war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I do see a conflict coming though between US and Iran. Vilifying Iran has been going on for while now.
Although I wonder how US is going to fight Iran with their significantly burned out war machine. We could see a replay of the Spanish Civil War > WWII transition, though I don't know how much US actually expended in the Spanish Civil War.

Thai takeover opens exit door for coveted F&N chairman Lee

While there have been hoots around how this is going to end the Lee dynasty and corporate control in Singapore and South East Asia, one thing to note is that LHY is in fact, a very good CEO who actually is able to balance the shareholder expectations and the problems the frontline of the company (customer-service crews, negotiators, etc) faces. He is shrewd enough to do acquisitions of foreign pies to bolster the company profits while maintaining some sort of standard in the local market.

A certain pattern is that the company usually falls into disarray (or at least their local operations) after he leaves. Will F&N start using HFCS instead of sugar after he leaves? I don't know, though with the new CEO, one thing I don't mind looking forward to is that they start lacing soft drinks with alcohol for lolis - *IS SHOT*

Exclusive: Bank probes find manipulation in Singapore's offshore FX market - source

Can you Americans stop exporting your corporate culture here.

Joking. Actually this news has been very late, for maybe almost a decade. Such a thing has already been so since the 1990s, it is just that with the advent of technology and widespread use of email, evidence becomes easier to collect.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-01-28 at 03:12.