View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 13:07   Link #2751
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
And we know this isn't gene-locked because people can make a choice on which magic style to use. If the circle was gene-locked, there wouldn't be a choice.
Or, perhaps to look at it another way... people make the choice as to which to use, based on what they are better at. And what they are better at, is reflected in their magic circle. Could go either way, with our explanations, depending on point of view.

For instance, Teana became a shooter, and Nanoha trained her as a shooter. She can use some melee attacks, but Nanoha's whole point was "get better at what you are already good at, because that makes the most sense right now." As you know, you can still use melee attacks as a Mid-user, or long range attacks as a Belkan user, which makes some sense as you'd want to vary up your skillset a bit so you're not totally useless in all circumstances (Teana's dagger mode), even if it is a subpar skill.

I know if someone told me I was a better pitcher, I'd tend to focus on that. It may be my choice, but it is still influenced by what I'm naturally good at.

As far as the circle being expressed as math, I'd have to wonder at that. There has to be people who are good at both types of math, then, but we haven't seen anyone switch calculation styles (and thus magic circles) at any other time. And there has to be benefits to each style of math, and thus someone naturally talented would use a both forms of math depending on spell and circumstance.

So, until we see someone use both, I'm gonna have to stick to the theory that the circle is gene-locked (or developed at the time they first use magic or cast their first spell).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
Guys what I say is still truth. You can use Belka to shoot something and you can use Mid-Childa to move faster and hit harder. If the difference is that Belka is good at hitting and Mid at shooting then why I can do the same with any style? And we all assume thing in one point of the other really.

By the way Kaijo I never say anything about Baseball, Basketball or Michael Jordan for that matter, what are you talking about?
I was trying to draw analogies for you, to help you better understand. If you aren't familiar with how baseball, basketball, or football work, or don't know who Michael Jordan is, then it wouldn't help, I suppose. But Michael Jordan was one of the best basketball players, who eventually retired and then tried out for professional baseball. He turned out to be mediocre at that, because the skillset for baseball is different than basketball.

And yes, Belka can still shoot and Mid can still clash in melee, but Keroko and Lhkan gave you good answers for that.