Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 18:09   Link #382
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That reminds me. Back when Nishida defeated Taichi and Taichi blamed it on luck - we all agreed it was a low point for him. But he eventually concluded that he lost because he lacked the skill to not win earlier. And all was made better For the more forgiving of us, anyway.

Now, all the women that came with Harada blamed bad luck. And even Harada said that Taichi's refusal to blame luck was holding him back.

So what are we supposed to think?
Nice observation Anh_Minh, the focus on luck in this episode felt a bit off, or better, confusing. I didn't get what the message was. At first it seemed that Taichi does has skills, but bad luck always gets in the way. But the luck factor felt a bit weak, to me. Now that you reminded me about that match I know why I felt like that.
I agree with Kirarakim, he needs self confidence, he has to believe in himself. But it's not a matter of real skills or talent. I mean, Taichi's path, as Taichi and Karuta relationship, is not the same as Chihaya and Arata. Honestly I think that Taichi will never win against Chihaya. And don't even start talking about his nemesis, Arata.
If we talk about Taichi it is always about his inner development/personal growth and less about the game. But even strictly game wise, luck is important as a catalyst for regaining or smashing your self-confidence. If having self-confidence is not a major factor in the long run, the lack of it could make you lose against everyone. So luck surely would let him play at his best, whatever his best is.
On the other hand I would say that self-confidence is directly proportional to your skills, usually. But talking about Taichi it is understandable he is not, let alone his skills

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote