View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 20:08   Link #315
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's true we don't really have a proper point of comparison. People tend to focus on directors rather than writers. The other writers I can think of who comes close to her popularity (like Urobuchi or Dai Sato) have never worked on real adaptations, so...

What I can tell you, however, is that I very often see the original mangaka/LN author credited in anime threads, and never the anime writer. Okada is about the only exception I can think of.
Doesn't that just mean that we don't pay enough attention to writers?

Quote:
I never said we should completely disregard their contribution. Only that most of the praise or blame should rightfully go to the original creator of the story, unless his work has been altered (either in a good or bad way).
What? That doesn't make the slightest sense - a writer can create a perfectly good work that gets butchered when it gets adapted. And really by only crediting the original creator, you are disregarding everyone else's contribution.

Quote:
Besides, I find it hard to tell who should be credited when it comes to adaptations (the director? The writer? The storyboarder? The animators?), so I tend to credit the whole studio (like for Jojo's bizarre adventure). It's more of a team work in my eyes, so I'll never credit a lone writer for an adaptation.
If you feel the need to credit individuals, then you should learn more about what it is they actually do. It's not as if the writers is wholly responsible for the work on an original anime. For that matter, mangaka and novellists tend to rely quite a bit on their assistants and editors as well.