View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 13:57   Link #225
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I mean, it's all very well that they're not emotional, but couldn't they have picked people who, in addition to not being emotional, also are interested in the welfare of society? The advancement of the human race?
That's where the political commentary comes in. It is well known that people who want political power the most badly, are often the very people you don't want to give power to. That those truly suitable for political roles are unwilling to get into leadership positions, or even reject them when offered.

That doesn't fit the scenario in this anime 100%. But I am sure it comes into play somewhere.

Fundamentally what we have in the anime, is an unacceptable political system that survives purely because the population is ignorant of what is ruling them. A government doesn't have to be right all the time; what is important is that mistakes are recognised. With Sybil it is the be-all and end-all. You get on the black list to even THINK the government is wrong.

Oversight, oversight, oversight. This is what Sybil does not have. They do whatever they want, and the assumption of "perfect" decision making is based on thin air.