View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 16:50   Link #100
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Of course the more familiar you are with a writer/director the better judge you can be (I am not disputing that). But I think I am familiar enough with the writer to say my judgement is not unfounded. There are just certain things common to a number of his works that I am not a fan of. And on another note I actually have seen more of his works than I listed (although certainly not everything).
Quote:
Perhaps but I want to point out that I can think of series with very silly premises that do have the depth that I am speaking is lacking in many of this writers original works.
That's fair enough, I guess, but since you had only explicitly mentioned a couple of his shows here, I felt it was warranted to mention those aren't the only ones we should take into consideration. I'm not only thinking about original works but, more specifically, those where Okouchi was the main writer. Unless an adaptation is being perfectly faithful, the writer still has a level of creative input. Of course, I can see that the conclusions each of us will reach aren't going to be the same regardless of that fact.

I'd disagree about most of his works having the same things in common, in all honesty, but I suppose that's also where our different interpretations and judgments come in. I tend to have varying opinions about each of them, including both their positives and negatives.

Quote:
And some of the changes the anime makes from the manga are actually the issues I have with Planetes but that's neither here nor there.
I didn't like some of the earlier changes myself, but I didn't have any serious problems with the later ones. I agree this isn't the best place to elaborate on such details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
Turn A Gundam had those moments of silliness so it can point out how precious peace is.Something wildly different from silliness of King Gainer(which didnt take itself seriously at all).
You could interpret several of the lighter moments that way, I'm sure, but the result is we saw a non-insignificant amount of comedy and just plain weirdness in certain parts of the show. We could get into some of the other examples at this point, but I feel enough has already been said about the subject. And yes, I agree that Overman King Gainer is more consistently ridiculous all cross the board, though not without a couple of interesting situations. In any case, I'm not thinking Valvrave will go that far either. Particularly since it seems this might not be a very long series.

Quote:
Also characterization is such works as Code Geass is completely bonkers(sudden chage of Suzakus heart in part was rather inconsistent with his character)but it is fine cause that is not required in a show like that.
Yes and no. There were some issues, especially towards the end, but I don't share your generalization. If anything, the over-the-top nature of the material provided a number of triggers for such sudden developments (Suzaku wasn't exactly in a relaxed state of mind, to say the least). At the same time, I still felt a lot of the preceding material was adequate.

Quote:
But I have hard believing Kou Matsuo will go in that direction.
Well, I'll take your word for it. I'm admittedly not familiar enough with him to comment on that.

It would be pretty interesting to read an interview in order to see what approach the director is taking this time around. Those aren't always translated, to be sure, but when they do, sometimes they provide a lot of food for thought and serves to clear the audience's mind about what should or shouldn't be expected. That's not to say there haven't been some cases where even the creators aren't able to produce the results they want, naturally enough.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote