View Single Post
Old 2013-03-09, 03:58   Link #2614
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Except that Byakuya, Renji, and Rukia all witnessed Ichigo losing the powers he had gotten from Rukia. So at least those three should have known that there was a different source to Ichigo's power.
When Ichigo released Bankai during his fight with Byakuya, Byakuya was still under the impression that Ichigo had just stolen his power from Rukia. It's one of the reasons he was so incredulous about Ichigo even being able to keep up with him, much less go Bankai or beat him outright.

Something people tend to forget is that the vast majority of characters in the series know far less about the goings on in the series than the readers do. Most events that take place in Karakura are unknown to the denizens of SS, and vice versa. Events that took place during the flashback arcs might be well known to some of the people around at the time of those arcs, but none of the "human" characters (I'm including Ichigo and Ishida here, even though neither is strictly "human") know anything about those events beyond what has been told them in the series, and even younger shinigami like Rukia are likely in the dark about most of it. Anything Ichigo went through in training is unknown to anyone other than Urahara or Yoruichi or Isshin (depending upon which training you're thinking of). Concerning recent events, we should assume until shown otherwise that no one other than Kenpachi, Shunsui, Yachiru, or Isane know that Unohana is now dead, much less how she got that way.

One thing to Kubo's credit is that he doesn't subscribe to the theory that everyone that is more "in the know" than our protagonist is therefore omniscient or ludicrously intuitive (other than Urahara, Aizen, and possibly Juha Bach as the Big Bad du Jour). People (other than the above) tend to know what they ought to know (and not know what they shouldn't) and act accordingly. This doesn't mean I'm now assigning Kubo massive story-planning skills on par with an Akamatsu Ken or Hiromu Arakawa, as I think he still pulls most of the plot progression out of his ass, but at least he has by and large kept character knowledge vague enough that current events and actions are at least reasonably (in not always desirably) explainable in-universe.

Still waiting to see how he explains Misaki being so old, though, unless Quincy aging just grinds to a near standstill once adulthood is reached. It would explain Bach being a contempory of the literally ancient Yama-jii (although I imagine there's more to him than just Quinciness), and I don't think we have ever been told exactly how old Ryuuken is...
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote