View Single Post
Old 2013-03-12, 19:39   Link #3698
Jirachier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
I understand your concerns. To me, consistency of the characters' strength and abilities are important to the quality of a series. The author is being realistic by stressing that despite Tatsuya's OP abilities, there are exploitable weaknesses, and that in any battle compatibility is important. In other words, there are no absolutes in combat. The weakness of every magic is that visual confirmation is needed to identify and target. Tatsuya has Elemental Sight which is a huge advantage, but it isn't an all-powerful as Yakumo has demonstrated. Yakumo has magic that can disguise himself to hide from Elemental Sight. Lina has Parade which can do something similar. The parasites proved to be his bane due to their unique nature as pushion information bodies. Tatsuya is indeed pretty much all-powerful, but he has his weaknesses and he can be defeated under the right circumstances and with the right tactics
I agree with you that Tatsuya can be defeated, but like you said you need the right circumstances and tactics(which so far were the only way to even compete with him). But if we look at his abilities overall and there was a way to give him an average he would be ranked as one of the strongest magicians in the world(just like how Juumonji is a powerful magician but just because he would get oneshoted against Maya doesn't mean he is at the lowest level, you have to take into consideration a character facing affinities to which he is neutral, ones to which he is weak and the ones to which he is stronger to determine his value).
So overall Tatsuya is broken, and I wish the author would stop just bringing up specific counters to him and just make some of the true strongest magicians in the world(as in NOT lina) fight him and ones who are neutral against him and vice versa, I like tactics and strategy but right now it's a little too much since every single real "opponent" to tatsuya has been a direct counter, I just want him to fight someone who can handle tatsuya not because he happens to counter his abilities but because he posesses abilities that are/almost are just as amazing.