View Single Post
Old 2013-03-25, 09:38   Link #151
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
In the end basically I guess that what made me siding with the rats was this feeling that humans lacked awareness that killing rats was wrong. And they still lack. And the fact that now they somehow know that rats were humans doesn't matter.
Actually the sad thing I get from the story is knowing the rats are intelligent creatures actually won't change anything in fact Saki and Satoru make it clear they can't think of them as human. It comes down to the very reason why the scientists changed them into that in the first place.

If the Pk users think of the Monster Rats as human then it is the Monster Rats who are in control of the PK users. That is to not say it is unfair and cruel, it certainly is. It also is a pretty bleak look at humanity that only if we have these type of controls in place and someone is on top we can survive. This is the same reason why the Monster Rats attacked the humans, in the end it was for their own survival.

I expected for a long time that the Monster Rats were really human, but the "why" they were created hit me the hardest in the same way the explanation of why the children are killed had also hit me.

It is understandable why Squealer thinks of himself as the same as the PK users. We can identify & understand that. I can also understand why Squealer might not be able to accept his place in life like Kiroumaru could, but maybe Kiroumaru was more wise and foreseeing in the end. After all he was at least able to secure the safety and survival of his tribe.

That all being said I think Saki and Satoru's hope in the end reflects that maybe they can still find ways to change for the better and still survive and at the very least maybe they have more understanding of where the Monster Rats are coming from.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-03-25 at 09:58.