View Single Post
Old 2013-03-28, 20:05   Link #1007
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Haruhi was the titular character in the Haruhi movie, and what happened to her exactly? And this was Canon off of the novel to boot. Having your name in the title does not make you the only one deserving of copious amounts of screentime. I certainly don't think Fate is more important than Nanoha, but they are the two main characters of the franchise. They're the only ones that have stuck around all three seasons, and still had a fair share of screen time. There is no reason for that to change in these movies.
So what? Nanoha isn't Haruhi. What is wrong with wanting the main character, the one with the name in the title, to get the most development? That seems to be the arguement you keep using for Fate: she's a main character, and thus deserves more development. I'm merely reusing your argument for Nanoha... and then you suddenly have a problem with it!

Quote:
Are you willing to give up Nanoha's fight with Reinforce?
Yes, I am. Dead serious. Nanoha has already given up her early SLB, and then also partially already given up her battle with Reinforce (sharing it with Fate now). I'd actually give more time to having Chrono fight it (along with Chrono, and possibly Fate). Read below to where I'll get more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Instead of re-hashing old arguments, I've decided I'm going to try to work outside the box. Let's look at some scenes that haven't been discussed much at all when it comes to the movie, and see if any of them are expendable.

My point is that you don't necessarily need to trim any Fate or NanoFate (well, aside from maybe the training scene, and a touch less Lotus Eater Dream) in order to get what you want for Lindy/Chrono.
Heh, funny you should ask this, because I was already in the process of getting time stamps to list what I'd cut. But it also depends on what needs to be added to properly address them. Let me give what I'd cut, as things not vital to the plot:

0:17 to 0:52 Rein's initial narration - 40 seconds
6:20 to 7:00 Nanoha and Fate meeting - 40 seconds
7:45 to 8:21 Fate joining Nanoha's class - 36 seconds
11:28 to 13:23 Nanoha and Fate walking and talking - 113 seconds
13:24 to 13:40 Nanoha talking to Yuuno in the library - 16 seconds
29:58 to 30:16 Nanoha and Fate stick training - 18 seconds
32:16 to 32:37 Fate gives someone an eraser in school - 21 seconds
38:23 to 42:00 Transformation sequences - 217 seconds
56:27 to 56:54 Hayate, Signum, Shamal talking about knight armor - 27 seconds
2:16:52 to 2:17:46 Lindy and Leti talking (might cut Leti entirely) - 54 seconds
2:21:09 to 2:21:40 Nanoha and Fate walking - 31 seconds
2:24:43 to 2:25:09 Scenes of Hayate talking with Ishida - 26 seconds
2:25:10 to 2:25:40 Nanoha showing RH to Arisa and Suzuka - 30 seconds

Total: 669 seconds or 11 minutes and 9 seconds. Note that I might not end up having to cut all of this (and you'll note it is not all Fate or NanoFate scenes), depending on the time it would take for the two paths I have come up with, which I'll detail below.

Note that I HAVE left in the following Fate and NanoFate scenes:
Nanoha and Fate talking and holding hands after being drained
Nanoha and Fate talking in Nanoha's room about the Wolks
Fate's talk with Lindy about Clyde, and her own mommy issues
Plus some others where Nanoha and Fate are on the same screen and next to each other, talking with others, etc. Still PLENTY of screentime.

Oh, and for the record,a s far as Fate's dream is concerned:
1:32:46 to 1:35:51 Initial wake up scene to breakfast - 185 seconds
1:38:44 to 1:40:35 Fate/Alicia - 111 seconds
1:43:34 to 1:45:11 Fate/Alicia - 97 seconds
1:45:37 to 1:46:40 Fate transforming Bardiche to Zanber and escaping - 63 seconds

Total: 456 seconds or 7 minutes and 36 seconds. I don't exactly plan to cut this, but I did want to get an accurate count of the time it takes up, just so we're on the same page.

Now, remember my Chrono dream scenario from before? He'd be absorbed first, and Fate would go in after him. That's something I'd definitely want to do, and I'd probably cut Fate's dream sequence in half so Chrono could share it (and they'd have part of it together as well, as brother/sister, so still a Fate scene overall, just sharing it). I might not need all 11 minutes to handle this, though (working on a fic at the moment that details what I'd like), but I may use some time for something else. But this would give me the time to have Chrono and Lindy resolve their feelings towards the Book; Chrono moreso than Lindy (she would have better accepted Clyde's death, so her only real development would be in learning to listen to and trust her new daughter to save Chrono).

You see, what I'd do with some of the extra time, is give a bit more to the first encounter. Fate and Arf would intervene and quickly double-team Vita while she's draining Nanoha, interrupting it (but Nanoha is still significantly drained). Vita gets down for the count and bound, before Signum and Zafira show up to tussle with them. I'd have Fate fight a bit more evenly with Signum, and for a bit longer (Arf with Zafira as well). But Vita gets back up and helps overwhelm Fate while Shamal traps Arf and Zafira knocks her out. Signum starts draining Fate.

It's at this time that Lindy *and* Chrono finally shows up with Enforcer backup (or just the hint that the DAB is starting to gather), forcing the Wolks into retreat (maybe with Nanoha managing an SLB to shatter the barrier, although I might just have Lindy break it). Probably have Lindy and Chrono come on strong with attacks that surprise Signum and Vita, and partially due to their low number of cartridges remaining, they decide to retreat. I'd probably dedicate about an extra 5 mins or so. But this way, Nanoha and Fate aren't completely drained and can recover faster, and aren't strangely left recoverable by the Wolks. But this part is optional.

And you'll note I still left Yuuno out of this. Despite him also being a favorite character of mine, I recognize that he doesn't need a scene here. This is what I meant about sacrifice for the sake of the plot. He's needed to dig up some information in the library, and let Nanoha and Fate know the solution in the final battle, and also probably assist in the final battle, too.

But there you have it. You honestly wouldn't really miss the cuts I made; if they never existed in the first place, you can't honestly say the movie would have sucked without them. You still would have gotten most everything you got in the series (minus the ep7 fights). And we'd still probably be able to fit some of them back in that I would have cut, depending on time.

I have Sakura con to go to tomorrow and through the weekend, so if I can't get my fic out tonight, it might not be until next week sometime.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote