View Single Post
Old 2013-04-12, 08:05   Link #1443
Rainrir
Tin Can

@Houshin Engi

Except that

Spoiler:

@Hitler Comparison

I think Morga crossed the line with the latest revelation (two chapters back). I think he is a tragic monster, and is quite beyond any white-washing. In any case, I think he is quite a well-written character. Since that while he is quite a unforgivable monster, but you can see where he came from and understand what drives him. All the debates on his thus far have just been people emphasizing the one part of his characterization character over the other (the good side/horrid past vs the bad side/terrible present). I think we should fundamentally see him as he just is.

However, calling him Hitler is kind of...off. The historical Hitler didn't really care about ANYONE beyond his ideology, not even for Germany or Germans. When the end came, he basically ranted about how Germany failed him and was unworthy of his ideals. Hitler was a complete monster who is willing to let the entire German nation suffer and be annihilated for his vision or for their failure to achieve it. Germany was a means to an end, not the end to itself for Hitler. Morga hasn't reach that level yet.

Morga also displayed a little bit of villianous valor, and let's not forget he also doomed his own afterlife to "save his nation and protect his people", so he can walk his own talk. A better analogue, would hardcore, protective ***ish leader who can allow a another (larger) group of *******ians to endure great suffering and repress them if it means *****el can prosper, stay ***ish and democratic. A total hardass and "jerk", who nevertheless is ultimately not afraid to die and suffer himself for his cause. In Morga's case, he allowed some people to suffer so his nation can have the "ultimate deterrent".

We also can't really compare to dooming someone's afterlife to anything done in real life, since...well...I have't seen something like that in real life other than metaphorically, so dooming someone's afterlife is a little hard to be used as a meaningful comparison.

Last edited by Rainrir; 2013-04-12 at 08:41.
Rainrir is offline   Reply With Quote