Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Free!
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-26, 14:50   Link #96
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
As far as I know (and I'm no expert), this isn't completely true, especially for K-On. KyoAni had a much larger role in producing K-On than a normal studio does for any of its adaptations. (This is just speculation, but) if they wanted to produce more K-On, they would have a lot more leverage in saying whether they could or not. What would stop them from doing it? Pony Canyon, who is helping to produce all of their light novel projects? TBS, who helped them produce K-On and Tamako Market? It seems to me that they both are fine letting KyoAni make decisions on what they want to animate.

As for Haruhi, it's a matter of who's the unwilling party. If KyoAni wanted to do it, would Kadokawa turn them down? I don't think so.

Feel free to correct me on any of this. I seriously don't really know for sure and most of this is just speculative.
You seem to not understand. Kyoani need more than just PERMISSION to make more K-On; they need the rights holders to also fork out their share of the money. The studio needed sponsors in order to make the thing. KyoAni isn't Disney; they can't afford it. When they adopt a series they get paid by the sponsors, so their costs are covered no matter how the DVDs sell.

Making original anime is a serious and risky undertaking. They are only now trying it out again.

Tamako Market and Chuunibyou are the original properties they made so far. They get a larger share of the profits, but since they are their own boss they can lose money. Free! would be next.

I can't help but feel it is rather arrogant to demand KyoAni to be more artistic. Especially since the unspoken expectation is that you want them to take risks for your sake. And worse, that you won't compensate for their losses. If KyoAni works are supposedly low on artistic merit, then what are other studios in comparison?

You want KyoAni to make art? Then pay them. That's how artists work, by commission. I am sure KyoAni would make any kind of high brow anime you want, to your specifications, if you just agree to finance them for the service rendered.