View Single Post
Old 2013-05-03, 21:01   Link #58
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalin View Post
Maybe that's because I haven't watched that many animes compared to how many other fans did. But, if you are right and the childhood friends don't in fact lose so often, I am happy to hear that.
Oh no, not you personally. Let's just say in my time here in Asuki (official join date like sometime in 2004'ish which got wiped out because of the 'great crash'; been lurking before even the first sub-forum 'KonoMini" even existed lol) I've met many kinds of people. Some are just misinformed, others just has limited knowledge, while still others just jump the bandwagon.

No, it started with a handful of people who claimed as a fact that childhood friends lose more than they win, and kept preaching it on and on. At first I just ignored them, as they were just a small group, and it wasn't worth my time. But within a year or so, every anime that had the childhood friend seemed like every other poster cried "childhood friends don't stand a chance because they always lose" or something to that effect.

It so got out of hand that even TV tropes started with the "Unlucky Osananajimi" page. (It has since changed it to 'Unlucky Childhood Friend', added the 'Victorious Childhood Friend' entry a bit later, and AFAIK now has merged it together.) I remember this because that page has been used as the 'bible', often taking the entries there (or even the page itself) as 'proof' that childhood friends usually lose.

Then I got real fed up (I think it was around Sola aired? I think it was tied to that show, but I can't remember why that particular show since there's no osananajimi there... oh wait, now I remember it was because of the side characters ), changed my title to the current one, and decided to tabulate every anime aired past 2000. The rest, as they say, is history.

So lesson learned... gotta nip it while it's still a bud. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote