View Single Post
Old 2013-05-25, 23:32   Link #131
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, by the same token, Toonami nowadays is a late-night/middle-of-the-night block (12am to 5am) that isn't actually so dissimilar to the way this same sort of anime airs in Japan -- in the middle of infomercial hours when most people aren't even awake. So it's bigger than "watching on the Internet", sure... but still not quite the same way Toonami used to be back in the day (when it aired in prime time).
True, but on the other hand, "otaku anime" probably wouldn't work in prime time anyways; heck, even American "hits" like GITS or NGE were basically shown on Adult Swim. Like I said before, this is probably the ONLY way that most of the anime discussed here will get anywhere near mainstream at this point.

Quote:
Besides that... given the timeslot, it doesn't even really need to "succeed" by that much of a measure. It'll probably just play through its 26-episode run. When it's over, they can replace it with a different show. If Aniplex is pitching something in for the broadcast, then it may matter even less.
Aniplex basically announced they weren't pitching in for the show; average viewership for anime on that block is somewhere in the 500,000s, so it doesn't need that much to succeed, but...

Quote:
That aside, my experience is that neither the artstyle nor the use of tropes are too big of a barrier to people with a medium amount of anime exposure, or particularly people with experience playing JRPGs/MMORPGs. (I'd wager the latter is your best target audience, and the show seems to resonate most with this group.)
I dunno-a lot of older AS fans are basically opposed to anything "moe-looking", and they aren't exactly big RPG fans either.

Of course, this will probably be successful, but not exactly a "hit". Only time will tell.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote