Thread: Xbox One
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-27, 13:17   Link #708
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Those are all digital only products. If I purchase a physical copy, why should it be treated as anything but physical?

And if you don't like cars, how about books? Or trading cards? Or any other number of things people regularly sell on eBay?
I'll conceed that there are products that still abides by the old business model but do bookstore aggressively push for the sales of used books over new? Go to any Gamestop or major game retailers and they'll offer used products over new because the profit margin is higher on those for them and publishers suffer because the only money they get is from new games.

And with the rise of ebooks and online tcgs, I think the traditional business model will slowly decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
How about music? The RIAA does a lot of things but I don't see them blaming used CD sales for their poor performance (no, instead they blame piracy--maybe they should stop signing horrible artists, stop compressing the shit out of the music's dynamic range and stop poorly mastering every recording they touch, then maybe they'd make some more money).
When was the last time you bought a CD let alone a used CD? Big company can blame whoever they want but in business, not making money is always detrimental to you. It's might not be business breaking but it's still something any businessman should fix.

I think before everyone reply, put yourself in the business side of perspective as well and look at the issue from both side. How would you choose if you are to provide content for a platform that can generate long term sales income and another platform that can only provide initial sales income because everyone else will just buy used.

Not saying it's good for consumer because obviously why would anyone give more money to content producers and when they can give less money to the middleman but it's a business model that needs to change if we want more game developers instead gamestop employee.