Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-03, 10:04   Link #813
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I still think people overlook the point that Robb's downfall is traceable back to the fact that he gave Frey a solemn vow, and broke it. That's why Cat was so horrified when she found out - she knew just what a terrible mistake Robb had made. Yes Frey is a miserable wretch of a man, but if a King takes his vows lightly, so will his subjects (as Cat said). If Robb had fulfilled his promise to Frey not only would he likely not be dead, but he might very well have secured the North and sued for a very agreeable peace with a desperate Tywin Lannister.

Would Ned have broken such a vow, even to the late Walder Frey? I rather doubt it.
What do you mean the "late" Walder Frey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
could read these tweets all day

I really liked the changes of the red wedding compared to the novel... made it all the more gruesome.

However it's kinda sad that many viewers probably didn't get the musical reference there, which is like one of the best moments. Unfortunately the few occasions Rains of Castamere has been featured so far in the TV series (Bronn singing, ending credits, recently explained by Cersei) aren't enough for TV viewers (only) to catch the meaning when the band started to play and Catelyn recognized it.
Oh, I got it. As soon as the guy closed the doors and that evil song started playing, I was getting nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The only issue I have with the depiction of the Red Wedding, really, is that I don't think they did a good job of conveying just what a grievous affront to everything that's held sacred in Westeros it is to offer guests bread, salt and the protection of your house and then do what Frey did. In the book Cat was in fact on edge from the start and told Robb to be sure he ate bread and salt the moment he walked inside Frey's keep.
Having studied the ancient Greeks and their own customs of guest-friendship, I had a sense of the profane nature of that betrayal, even if the show didn't go out of its way to convey that.

Not just the Greeks either. Dante would also have a special place in the lowest circle of Hell for the Freys. It's really a cross-cultural, diachronic taboo. You don't betray guests in your home.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote