View Single Post
Old 2013-06-27, 11:36   Link #9
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's fiction. It may be morally reprehensible, but it's still fiction, and no one is forcing you to endure it. People who do shitty things in real life? They deserve punishment. That's the line I draw.

Is some of it obscene/exploitative? Absolutely. Some of it is genuine art, but of course that's always going to be subjective. But that's really no different than violence or other social taboos when used in fiction.

Also, as a moderator, I'll take this moment to state that if the discussion goes out of control I will not hesitate to close it and issue punishment if needed. Please keep this civil and thoughtful.
True, the gap between reality and fiction means that said actions don't equate the same amount of moral outrage.

Vile thoughts do not equate vile actions when not realized.

On the other hand, although we understand the severity of the situation is greatly reduced in fiction, it's also not nonexistent, and is potentially sidestepping the issue.

But some lines are more clear cut than others. Nudity alone, in most cases is subject to debate. Even in "prudish" US, we do not consider nudity in itself to be obscene. Gratuitous nudity of very young characters for nothing other than "fanservice" is another issue. It would be very hard to really explain the need for that in the Nanoha movies, for example.

It's not enough to go out and carry around pick up signs. But sometimes it's just annoying enough to warrant some complaints.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-06-27 at 11:39. Reason: fuck double negatives, but don't fuck anything else in fear of the moral police
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote