View Single Post
Old 2013-08-18, 23:37   Link #268
J the Drafter

This episode had a fillerish feel to it, though I don't think that's what the creators were going for. It looked like the writers wanted to establish the girls' bond with each other before kicking into high gear, but the outing just felt bland to me. I thought the writers had a good idea with this episode--show that the girls like are and try and make us care about them--but it just made me impatient. The problem was that we--or I, at least--weren't shown too many things that were actually interesting. I'm going to use a quote I got from somewhere and say that if the show wasn't advancing the plot when it was focused on the girls it should have taken a deeper look at their characters. They did that with Ginka, extrapolating her monetary-focused upbringing by revealing that she makes sure to have money on hand, and that she pays attention to debts. They continued to show Luna's jealousy, but a single personality trait does not a character make. Seira and Akari were both their usual selves for the most part, with nothing new shown and no existing traits elaborated upon outside of that one scene where Akari asks Seira how to exercise.
I think the problem goes back deeper than this one episode. This episode is the culmination of everything we've seen of the girls up until now, and unfortunately, the girls have all had holes in their character development.
Whoever it was on this thread who said that Akari's unwillingness to kill Daemonia completely disappears after that one dude tells her to kill him is correct. (Akari does have a different subplot with her wish to remember the Daemonia's motives for falling to temptation, but that's a totally new character thread.)
The incident with Ginka's very treasured uncle is treated like a plot of the week.
Seira's opinions were explained, but the show never gave them the examination they deserved. Instead, Seira's focus episode treated those opinions like a mistake that needed to be corrected. That portrayal is horribly un-nuanced. The show should have discussed the downsides and merits of Seira's beliefs and the downsides and merits of Akari's beliefs. Even better would be if the anime allowed us viewers to make up our own minds about the two different approaches and still showed why the characters eventually chose the philosophy they did.
It seems clear to me that the show is holding back much of Luna's character until we reach the main event. There's nothing wrong with that, but it means Luna's character is pretty thin so far. Sure, we're getting hints, but we can't fully analyze Luna until we're given enough information to understand her.
All told, Day Break Illusion is being hamstrung by its poor character development. I think the writers wanted to give their characters depth, and I think they've actually done that a little (the different ways Ginka's money fixation affects her life and Akari's notebook of the Daemonia's motivations come to mind), but there have been a huge number of cases where ideas were either never properly explored or were presented and then resolved, with no follow-up. (I have to give Korvaal over at Wiki Tropes credit for his point about resolutions. He harps on resolutions constantly, and he's right.) I think this show has the potential to be interesting, but I don't think the characterization is going to be as solid as could be hoped.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote