View Single Post
Old 2013-08-24, 12:43   Link #487
Drifloon

I suppose I can sort of see it, but I'm really not sure that angle is really there in the scene. I mean, the first thing Beatrice says when she appears to Natsuhi is that she doesn't hold her sin against her, and then she immediately follows that with "Therefore, ......please do not hold it against me when I kill you for the sake of my love". It doesn't seem like her decision to kill her has anything to do with anger or resentment.

Also, the thing that gives her the necessary 'determination' is the realisation of "I was born because I love Battler-san...and I want him to love me back.....", which is followed by Zepar and Furfur acknowledging her strength, and Lucifer coming to save the day. It's basically the same theme as the rest of the love trial, where the lovers can only succeed by acknowledging the strength of their feelings or whatever. It really seems to be twisting the scene too much to take the source of her weakness as being anything to do with sympathising with Natsuhi as a person. If anything, it's Jessica who's the only one of the lovers that actually expresses hesitation and regret over killing someone; Beatrice's problem here seemed more to be that she hadn't fully resolved to love Battler rather than that she hadn't fully resolved to kill.

I mean, I'd actually like the scene a lot more if it was something like what you're saying, but I just don't think it's there unfortunately. It is a valid point, though, that Beatrice is unable to kill Natsuhi by herself...But that seems to be more of a way to transition to BATTLER's appearance than anything. And it's pretty hard to try and translate "Beatrice can't kill her without Battler's help" to anything meaningful other than the same old 'love conquers everything' stuff that the whole episode is full of.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote