View Single Post
Old 2013-09-01, 07:19   Link #58
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
If you have a predisposition you're convinced in, you can explain anything to fit that belief, whether it's scientific or not, factual or not, does not matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Eh, so you're agreeing with me, right?
Well, I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Except that science is not based on belief but evidence, and evidence supports evolution.
Evolution explains how certain genes are selected for by the environment. It can even explain how certain behaviors are passed on along generations. But to cross the two and claim that genes are behaviors is a huge stretch. Nobody is arguing against evolution, just the direct linking of genetics with behaviors.

You talk about evidence as if there's direct evidence of what you're saying. Where is it? I want to see an experiment where a genetic modification that had no major physiologic impact (such as excess testosterone production or impaired brain development) altered a higher organism's behavior. Simply citing evolution and claiming that "genes are selfish" is not direct evidence. It is proposing an idea and spuriously linking facts that are not necessarily linked to one another.

Quote:
The thing with Freud is that he did not carry out experiments to back up his claims and has been disproven with modern science, and one of such modern theories that work is the gene centric evolution theory.
What has been disproven? His models of development were based off of observations. They are still taught, and they are still relevant.

Of course, one could argue that we are simply perceiving reality to fit into Freud's theories. It's a possibility. It's what I think you're trying to do with the theories surrounding genes.

Quote:
Until anyone actually reads books on evolution or the lectures I provided I don't think we are going to put up an argument with an actual outcome. The rivalry between species but opposite sex, is probably lecture 3 or 4.
This is probably true, because the specifics will never be addressed. Just out of curiosity, what is your educational training in? I don't mean what level was reached, but are you in the sciences?