View Single Post
Old 2013-09-27, 06:11   Link #3723
Dr. Casey

I've been reading through the Umineko series for the first time this year, and I think I'm about halfway (?) through episode six; the 'trials' have just begun, with George confronting Evatrice. I'm super excited about reading Requiem of the Golden Witch, namely because I'm looking forward to the 1944 flashback with a much younger Kinzo. He's a fascinating character, though I hope that episode 7 helps to illustrate why he has such an incredible reputation and legacy behind his name. I don't necessarily mean his great achievments like reviving the Ushiromiya family (which is just exposition anyway), but his sense of style and charisma, like how Beatrice says in episode 5 that Kinzo would have done the "jump through the window" scene with more flair. Since Kinzo's dead before the games begin and doesn't do much in most of the stories besides give angry rants, it feels as though we're told about what an amazing guy Kinzo is/was, but we're not shown it very often. Not that Kinzo doesn't have some nice moments, but pretty much everyone does in Umineko so he doesn't stand out all that much there. So yeah, very interesting character, but I hope episode 7 illustrates more clearly just why his kids won't put anything past him.