View Single Post
Old 2013-09-30, 23:51   Link #499
Darthtabby

Its hard to say for sure who gets the most hate, but there are certainly plenty of people who dismiss Alto as essentially a typical dense, indecisive male romantic lead. Enough that Ghost Lightning decided to include him in his list of characters that were rehabilitated by the second movie instead of Brera. I can also remember joking at a convention that I cosplay Ozma because "I'm not pretty enough to play Alto" and having the guy I was talking to reply "Why would you want to?" (I should have told him "So I have an excuse to take pictures with cute Sheryl cosplayers" but that's another matter.)

I don't necessarily entirely agree with everything this blogger says, but I think a lot of it is worth considering. You bring up that scene where Alto gets called up by SMS. Yeah, he got called up by his superiors, but he wasn't very happy about it. But after he ran into his dad he became much more eager, because he felt he had something to prove.

I think Alto honestly wants to fly and also wants to defend his home. But I wouldn't rule out the idea that he's acting and running away from problems either. If Michael and Yasaburo's remarks are so far off the mark, why do they get under his skin so much? Why does he make to angrily storm off from his meeting with Yasaburo, then stop as soon as Yasaburo says he's stuck in a role, then space out thinking about the offer later on (when he was waiting to meet Sheryl)?

Heck, Alto outright states that he might have been running away in Episode 23, and that he was pretending not to notice certain things. We know he wasn't being honest about his desire to defend his home. What reason would he have to deny that if he isn't trying to avoid something?

Food for thought.